Author
Historical and old photos of Steinkjer, Trøndelag

Coat of arms of Steinkjer

Main page • Countries of Europa • Cities of Norway

Historical and old photos of Steinkjer, Trøndelag

A small historical reference

Geography: Steinkjer is the administrative centre of the municipality of Steinkjer in Trøndelag county, Norway. The town is located at the northeastern end of the inner-most part of the Trondheimsfjorden, at the mouth of the river Steinkjerelva. In the eastern part of the town, the river of Figgja also flows into the fjord. The town is split in two by Steinkjerelva, creating the two traditional neighborhoods of Nordsia and Sørsia. Both the European route E6 highway and the Nordlandsbanen railway line run through the town, the latter serving the city at Steinkjer Station. Steinkjer Church and Egge Church are both located in the town.

Prior to 1 January 2018, the town was the administrative centre of Nord-Trøndelag county, and since that day it has been the seat of the newly created Trøndelag county. This means the Trøndelag County Municipality is based here as is the County Governor, the representative of the King and Government of Norway in Trøndelag county.

The 7.94-square-kilometre (1,960-acre) town has a population (2018) of 12,908 and a population density of 1,626 inhabitants per square kilometre (4,210/sq mi).

Date of foundation: 1857

History:

Population: 12 908

Sights:

Steinkjer. Hotel 'Bondeheimen', between 1900 and 1950
Hotel 'Bondeheimen', between 1900 and 1950
Steinkjer. Old church, between 1900 and 1940
Old church, between 1900 and 1940
Steinkjer. Panorama of city street, 1946
Panorama of city street, 1946
Steinkjer. Panorama of city street, between 1900 and 1950
Panorama of city street, between 1900 and 1950
Steinkjer. Panorama of city street, petrol station, 1946
Panorama of city street, petrol station, 1946
Steinkjer. Panorama of square with pavilion, 1946
Panorama of square with pavilion, 1946
Steinkjer. Railway station, platform, train, between 1900 and 1950
Railway station, platform, train, between 1900 and 1950
Steinkjer. Swedish City, 1948
Swedish City, 1948

History

From the creation of municipalities under the formannskapsdistrikt law in 1837, the village of Steinkjer was part of the municipality of Stod. In 1857, the village was designated as a kjøpstad (town). On 23 January 1858, the newly designated town was separated from Stod municipality to form a municipality of its own. The initial population of Steinkjer was 1,150.

During the 1960s, there were many municipal mergers across Norway due to the work of the Schei Committee. On 1 January 1964, a large merger took place: the neighboring municipalities of Beitstad (population: 2,563), Egge (population: 3,476), Kvam (population: 1,245), Ogndal (population: 2,678), Sparbu (population: 4,027), and Stod (population: 1,268) were all merged with the town of Steinkjer (population: 4,325) to form the new municipality of Steinkjer.

Origin: en.wikipedia.org




Photos posted on the website in accordance with Article 7, paragraph 1 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works of 9 September 1886, the term of protection which is fifty years after the author's death.

After this period photos it becomes public domain. The participants of the Berne Convention are 167 States.


Robinson Rd, CB 13862 Nassau, NP, The Bahamas
Flag Counter